Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Life is Good, Eternal Life is Better

I went to a concert last night with my good friend Adam. We saw Ever Stays Red, Stellar Kart, and Kutless. It was a great rock concert. The band that is called Stellar Kart has a song that is entitled Life is Good. The song basically talks about that life as a Christian is great, but how much better will it be when we get to see our Lord Jesus face to face. Hence the catch line of the song is "Life is good, eternal life is better."

Isn't that just exactly what Paul the apostle was talking about in Philippians 1:21 when He said "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." As Christians we should count it a privilege that we have some time here on earth. Short though it may be in comparison to eternity, life itself is a gift. Everyday we live it is an opportunity to give glory to God with our lives.

As Christians we have the privilege of getting to know God right now. We don't have to wait for Heaven to begin to grow in our relationship with our Savior. God has give us His precious word to study and to direct us in righteousness. God also chooses to use us sinful people to share with others about Him. Everyday we have opportunities, whether we take them or not, to declare the glory of God and His gospel. What a privilege to be the hands and feet of Christ, taking His truth into all the world.

To live is Christ. That means that the purpose of life is to exalt Christ. Life indeed is good when we seek to lift up Jesus in every area of our lives. In our marriages, in our work place, in our minds, Jesus is to be Lord. And when we make Christ number one, how good life gets. In fact one of the main themes of Philippians is joy. The person who lives a God exalting life is the person with great joy.

Exalting Christ isn't always easy, in fact it is often very hard. But As Dr. John Piper says, we must fight for joy! I know for me sometimes it is hard to just start the conversation with someone whom I want to share Christ with, but I also know that after I do that it gives me great joy to have glorified my God by proclaiming His truth.

Yes indeed life is good when we walk with the Lord, but nevertheless, eternal life is better. How wonderful is it to know that as a Christian we don't have to try and cram in all the fun we can have here on earth, because we know that when we die that the fun is just getting started.

I hope to echo Paul's sentiments by the way I live my life. "To live is Christ", and life is good when we do live for Christ, but "to die is gain" and I can't wait to be with the savior whenever He calls me home, because eternal life is better!


-Jacob

No comments: